Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ruby Unscripted by Cindy Martinusen-Coloma



Summary: Small-town Ruby moves to a big city after the divorce of her parents. Confronted with a whole new world so different than the one in which she grew up, Ruby must find herself and her place in the world.

My Thoughts: I don’t know entirely what I think about this book. I liked the concept for the book, but I wasn’t impressed by the development of the story. Ruby moves to the big city, and she becomes friends with a gay guy. She wonders about her beliefs on homosexuality, but this storyline is never developed. Ruby continues her friendship with Frankie, but after bringing up the ideology of the church and homosexuality, I felt the issue should have been addressed. The second thing that bothered me was that Ruby’s close friend becomes sexually active. Again, the author brings up a topic but never addresses the aftermath of the topic. If this is book one of a series, this may be okay. Ruby also struggles with her own beliefs in God, trying to line up how she sees God in relation to how her family sees him.


Both of these topics are relevant to today’s teens, especially those who are Christians as Ruby is in the book. However, because the author brought up these tough topics without developing them further, it seems to be a waste of a great book that could spark dialogue between teens about faith. This book had too many loose ends for me.

I did like Cindy Coloma’s writing style, so I may check out another of her books for comparison.

No comments: