Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Heart Most Worthy by Siri Mitchell


The year is 1918. The place is Boston. World War I is raging, and three immigrant girls are struggling to find themselves. Julietta, strong and bold, must choose between true love and exciting love. Annamaria, quiet and obedient, falls for a boy from the other side of the street and must choose between love and her parents’ prejudice. Luciana, alone and carrying a secret, must choose between love and safety. Working together at a dress shop, the three girls’ lives are woven together in a historical tale of prejudices, loyalties, and both the love of a man and of God.


This is the first historical fiction book I’ve read by Siri Mitchell, and I enjoyed it. Boston is my favorite city in America, and I was happy to see it as the setting for this tale. I loved the Italian culture that filled the pages. Although there are myriad characters in the book, they are all well-developed and accurately portray the women of that generation. Each girl’s story was unique but shared the common theme of finding love despite all obstacles. The side storylines of Madame Fortier’s lost love and the political and social issues of the time deepened the overall theme.

Although the ending was predictable, the journey there was enjoyable. I will definitely check out the other historical books by Siri Mitchell.

I received this book from Bethany House for the purpose of reviewing.

No comments: