Monday, May 9, 2011

Reviewing Books

     I know people probably have different ways of reviewing books, so I thought I would post mine.
I don't review every book based on my personal opinions, which is odd. I read an eclectic range of books, so I try to review the books based on the intended audience.
     Yes, I love young adult books, but I don't review them based on my feelings about it. I review it based on my years of teaching middle schoolers and how the book fits with them. When I read a mystery written for kids, I can't expect it to have the twists and turns that a Ted Dekker book has.
      When I read Love Inspired books, I read it as the intended audience. The Love Inspired series has very strict requirements for their books, so I know they will have a predictable storyline because that's what the publisher requires.
      So, while everyone has their own way to evaluate a book, I choose to review it based on the intended audience. I think about whether I like it for that genre and for that audience.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

That's a great way to review books, Laura. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, especially when I'm deciding how to rate a book. Should it be a 4 star, or should it be a 5 star? I think I let my emotion get in the way, and if the book made me feel strong emotion, I would be more inclined to give it a five star rating. If I really like the book, but it didn't move me to tears, or I didn't have a strong emotional response, I'll give it 4 stars.

I also let myself get swayed by others' reviews. If I've rated a book a 4, but there are a lot of other 5 star reviews, then I doubt my rating and wonder if I should bump it up to a 5 star.

It really shouldn't be so difficult for me, but it's something I do consider often.

Thank you for sharing how you evaluate books, and the approach you use. I will definitely keep that in mind for my reviews in the future.

Unknown said...

I think the same thing when I leave a review on Amazon or Goodreads. I always wonder if I missed something that everyone else got. :)
I should have also added that when I read a book just because I want to (not for a publisher or even in preparation for a library lesson), I judge it based on my own enjoyment.
Sometimes I wonder if I am harder on authors I love because I look forward to the book so much that sometimes it's a great book that just doesn't live up to the nine months of build-up waiting for the release!
Thanks for commenting.

Michelle said...

"I always wonder if I missed something that everyone else got." That's what I often think, too!

I'm glad I found your blog, and look forward to coming back often. : )