Thursday, August 11, 2011

Here Burns my Candle by Liz Curtis Higgs




Secrets can destroy a person, a reputation, and a family. The members of the Kerr family all have secrets that can destroy the ones they love. Lady Elisabeth Kerr hides her beliefs. Her husband hides his affairs. Her mother-in-law hides her money and her guilt. When their secrets begin to come out, will they be able to find the forgiveness and redemption they all desperately need? Set in eighteenth-century Scotland at the height of a revolution, this novel explores the transformation that comes when the light of the world comes into a dark heart.

I enjoyed this book. I’m not usually a huge fan of books set in Scotland (I think I have to focus too much on the dialect to truly enjoy the story, which I know would be easy if I read more stories set here.) But, this story intrigued me. This book contains everything from romance to family loyalty, including standing up for one’s beliefs, forgiveness, and even the ills of a society that focuses on titles and appearances. Fans of Christian historical fiction will enjoy this book and will see parallels to the Biblical story of Ruth, who is one of my favorite Bible characters.

The end of the book is merely a beginning for the second one, and I look forward to reading it.

I received this book from the publisher for the purpose of reviewing. My thoughts and opinions are my own.

Find the book on Amazon: Here Burns my Candle
Visit the author's website: http://www.lizcurtishiggs.com/

I get books to review based on my ratings. If you have a minute, please take the time to rate my review.




2 comments:

Dawn Janis said...

I love these two books. The second one is amazing. :)

Berrcat said...

I love Liz Curtis Higgs. She came to my church and really spoke to my heart so I had to read at least one of her books. I have been hooked since. I have read her first series. I especially love the setting in Scotland because my ancestral roots are from Scotland and I learn so much about this country that I previously knew so little. Anyway, you can only get so much from a history book. A novel really brings it to life.