Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Colonel's Lady: A Review



When Roxanna Rowan flees to the wild frontier of Kentucky to be reunited with her father, she is shocked to find he has passed away. His dying wish was for Colonel Cassius McLinn to protect Roxanna. Offering Roxanna a job, Cassius is determined to keep her safe and to keep his secret safe from her. Will they find  love or will the past come back to ruin their chance at happiness?

I had heard from several people what a great writer Laura Frantz is. I was told she brought history alive, and I found that to be true. I love the premise for the book, but I was a little bored and found myself putting it to the side multiple times. Roxanna wasn't a great character, and I am a character-driven reader. I loved Cassius and would have liked to see Roxanna developed as much as he was. I enjoyed the side characters, especially the little girl.
I think the author did a great job of portraying life on the frontier and the war. The hardness of the life and the struggle to cope with military life was authentic and insightful. Even though I wasn't crazy about this book, I will give Frantz's other books a try.

No comments: