Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sunrise on the Battery: A Review


Slow Read with a Rushed Ending!
I know the title of my review sounds misleading, but that's how this book was for me.

Mary Lynn and her husband Jackson grew up with very little, and as a result, they feel they have to ensure their three daughters experience everything they never had: culture, college, influential friends, and social status. The pressure to measure up has a negative effect on their oldest daughter Catherine, so when Mary Lynn begins to go to church, she prays her family will come to know Jesus like she does. When Jackson finally accepts Christ, he dives in head-first, and Mary Lynn begins to wonder what exactly she prayed for.

The first three-fourths of the book dragged out...lots of reflection and old memories. The last part has so many character changes that it seems unbelievable. For example, Catherine just suddenly overcomes a serious problem without the parents finding out, and a minor character who was a supportive friend randomly wants more. I enjoy books told from different points of view, but I found myself skimming a lot of the book because I just didn't really care what happened because the characters weren't well-developed.

The storyline has a lot of potential, especially Catherine's struggle. The book just spent too much time with character's reflections instead of their growth or some action.

I was given this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments: