Monday, March 19, 2012

Lone Wolf: A Review



Luke Warren spent his life researching wolves, a passion that pulled him away from his wife and two kids for two years as he lived as a member of a wolf pack. However, finding a place in the wolf world cost him everything in his human world: his wife and his son Edward, who left home at eighteen and never looked back. When Luke and his daughter Cara are involved in a serious car accident and Luke is put on life support with little chance for recovery, Luke's family must come to grips with the past and its secrets and decide Luke's future.

I love Jodi Picoult's books. I love the well-developed characters. I love that both sides of a moral/ethical/legal issue are presented and emotionalized (not sure if that's a word) while leaving the reader to decide his or her world view. I think that's what is missing most from this book: well developed characters. I am a character driven reader, and I didn't care about these characters. They were lifeless and boring. Edward finally came alive in the last 1/4 of the book, but by that time, I just wanted to see the end result.
The second problem in the book is that there is very little action. Most of the action is in the forms of Luke's memory, and the only action in those is the wolves. The plot's slow pace finally picks up towards the end, but again, it's too little too late.

As a Picoult fan, I'm disappointed in this book.

No comments: