Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Rebellious Heart: A Review

 

Susanna Smith grew up with everything she could ever want except an education. Ben Ross grew up with nothing and has only his Harvard education. When they meet, sparks fly, and they must work together to stand for justice.

Jody Hedlund is one of my favorite for historical fiction. She has a way of making the characters real and the circumstances come alive. However, I didn't really like Susanna and Ben much at first. They were well-written; I just didn't love them from the get-go. However, about halfway through, they had grown on me, and I read the second half much quicker than the first.

The action starts with the very first page, and there are plenty of turns along the way to the happy ending. I also liked that the author tackled topics of slavery, punishment for crime (even when innocent), and even rape and murder. While not giving too much detail, the author gave a more realistic view of the time than the romanticized version we often read.

The author's note at the end intrigued me as much as the story. I'm going to check out some books on Abigail and John Adams.

Fans of Jody Hedlund will enjoy her latest book. Fans of historical fiction will also enjoy this. A Noble Groom is still my favorite by Jody though. :)

I was given this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts are my own.
 
 

No comments: