Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Third Wheel: A Review



As a school librarian, I love the Diary of a Wimpy kid series. They are funny, and the kids want to read them over and over, which is awesome. I was eager to read the newest edition, especially since I knew it would be about a school dance. I know Greg is in middle school, but fans of the books are as young as first grade. I wanted to see how the topic was handled, but I should have known the dance would be more about Greg's mishaps than romance.

Although it's not the best book in the series, I still enjoyed the latest Greg drama--getting locked in the laundry room while babysitting, having his mom come to school to make him take off his jacket, and even Greg getting kicked out of kindergarten. And that's all before the senior citizens crash the dance. Each situation is humorously written, and fans will enjoy getting to know a little bit of Greg's past while seeing him worm his way out of his current predicament.

I've read some reviews that mention the topics jump around, and while I thought the beginning of the book that compared Greg's childhood to Manny's was a little long, I thought Kinney tied the ending back to the beginning, which was a nice touch and great conclusion to the story.
Fans of the story, both young and old, will enjoy this latest book.

No comments: