Sunday, December 2, 2012

NaNoWriMo


I did it!! I wrote over 50,000 words in one month! 

I often think of great ideas in my head, but I don't have the discipline to sit down and write them out. I had been writing a story, but after realizing the plot needed to be reworked in a major way, I became more frustrated the longer I worked on it. 

Since NaNoWriMo was starting, I decided to sit down and write a story that had been on my mind a while. I just wrote without thinking of the "format" in which the story needed to be told like I had been. Having (Wanting) to enter my word count each day was a huge motivator. Next year, I hope to interact more with other writers and perhaps meet some writing buddies.

Of course, a novel is longer than 50,000 words, so I'm still plugging away. I still have a few more events to write in the story, and my goal is between 70-75,000 words. 

How about you? Are you writing anything? I would love to meet some people who are in the same boat as me: just starting out. 



6 comments:

Dawn Janis said...

Good for you! I find myself writing more and more fan fiction at the moment.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I'm enjoying it! Do you post your fan fiction on fan pages?

Dawn Janis said...

Yeah for the most part. I've got one multi-chaptered story I've not finished because Harry Potter 7 came out and turned a lot of it Alternate Universe. But on one of the sites I'm a member of, we're in a contest for A Year in the Life of A Hogwarts Student. So I'm writing each entry as a continuation of the one previous.

That same site is also doing a Holiday calendar that is Harry Potter themed, so I'm helping with my house's entry (Hufflepuff) and I'll do one of my own. I posted last year's calendar entry on my blog.

So pretty much all of my fanfiction is Harry Potter themed.

Unknown said...

That's cool. I stopper after book two. I need to pick them up sometime.

Renee said...

Congrats on your accomplishment! I'm impressed. Thanks for linking up at Come to the Table. Blessings!

Kara said...

Hi Laura and well done on meeting your writing goal, wow!!
Wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Sunshine Award, congrats!
Blessings, Kara
http://karathewriter.blogspot.com/2012/12/sunshine-award.html