Saturday, December 15, 2012

Sarah Dessen



The story I've been working on for NaNoWriMo is a YA. One of my favorite authors, Ally Carter, often tells new writers to read books in their genre for the writing instead of for enjoyment.

Since my work in progress is about a senior in high school finding herself (and God), I decided to read (or re-read) all of Sarah Dessen's books since she is the queen of Coming of Age books in my opinion.

I planned to look at pacing and external conflict since those are two areas in which I struggle. But dang it, I get sucked into the story every time, even the ones I had already read. The way she develops a character is absolutely amazing. While not every book has been added to my list of all-time favorite books, every single one is great. Every one. I still have a few to go, but I'm sure they'll be just as good.

Do you have a writer that makes you forget everything but the characters in that book?


**Isn't it cool how well-read this book appears to be. Thanks to all the high school librarians in my district sending me their copies. :)

No comments: