Monday, March 11, 2013

I got an email back!


Before I sent my book proposal out, I carefully researched agents and spent hours making sure my proposal fit their requirements. After I sent the proposals, I found several blogs by agents who shared how they send rejection notices and read all the various comments from other unpublished authors who shared their rejection letters.
I found a few similarities in stories.
*If you don't hear back from an agent within two months, they aren't interested.
*Some agents will send a one-line email letting you know it's not a good fit. 
*If the agent takes the time to give you feedback, there's hope.

Tonight, I sent out my last query letter/proposal, and I got a response within an hour. 
I'm copying most of it here.

Dear Laura, 

Thanks for sending this to me.

I like the story and I like the characters. I think this is worth working on. Unfortunately  I don't have time to do edits just now and I think the writing is a bit rough. 

Do you have a crit group? Do you have any money to hire an editor to edit the first few chapters. There are just a few things you could learn in the first few chapters and you could apply to the rest of the book. 

I really like this and pulled in, so I'd like to see it again. I wish I had time to work on an edit with you.

If you need suggestions for editors I have a few listed on my website on the writers' resource page: 
(I took the link out.)
If you don't have the money to hire an editor, and if no other agents pick this up, write back to me. I'll see if I can squeeze you in if you're interested in working with me. 

You have a good feel for story. (She then went on to add specifics from the book.)

I know it's a rejection, but it's so encouraging! Even if I don't hear back from anyone else, I will keep plugging away--reading books about writing, reading quality books, and rewriting my story. I am also planning to attend the ACFW conference in September.
I already contacted one of the editors she suggested, and I am looking forward to learning more.
Who knew rejection could be so nice. :)

8 comments:

Abbi Hart said...

Congrats! Even though it is a rejection of sorts that's a pretty nice one! I hope you are able to find an editor that works for you! I also hope that I will be able to read your book in the not to distant future :) I think it would be so cool to read a book by someone I kinda "know"! Any hints about what it's about? Or did I miss that post?

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment. I haven't written on here anything about the story. I will post a blog about that.
In a nutshell: it's a YA about a girl named Ellie who has had the perfect life. She's always followed the rules and feels God owes her a good future. When things fall apart, she finds God's Will is Worth the Wait (that's the working title).
There's more than just romance, but the love story is central. :)

Thanks again for commenting!

Kara said...

that's so awesome, Laura!! what an encouraging post and so happy you got a quick response, thanks for sharing :) you're on your way and we celebrate with you....the book sounds wonderful and i'm sure it will be published soon!
big time blessings to you!

Abbi Hart said...

Ooh sounds good! Thanks for sharing!!!

Mom said...

I'm sooooo proud of you! Go, Laura!

BrendaC said...

You're on your way,even though it's a rejection it's a positive rejection. Fingers crossed and praying that God will lead you to the right people to help you achieve your dream!

Dawn Janis said...

Awesome Laura! I'm so excited for you. I'm loving sharing your journey.

ASC Book Reviews said...

CONGRATS!!!! I'm SO happy for you! I hope you do well! I've heard that the conference is a great place to get contacts and get published! Keep in prayer about it and if it's God's will you'll make it! Can't wait to hear more!

Hugs, ASC