Thursday, August 1, 2013

In Broken Places: A Review

 


This book is hard to read. Not because it's not well written because it is. Not because the characters are boring because they aren't. Not because the plot is contrived because it's not.

It's hard to read because it tackles child abuse with open and often raw emotion. Shelby's still suffering from her father's abuse even though he's dead. In his will, he left her his child from his second wife. Fleeing to Germany to teach, Shelby takes the girl and together they find their way with the help of a patient man.

Although it's a tough read, it's a good read. The writing flows with ease between the past and the present, and while there are no "on the edge of your seat" scenes, it's a beautiful tale of a woman finding out how to not only survive but also to flourish.

Fans of Christian fiction will enjoy this novel. It's not a beach read, but it's an excellent read.
Its theme and compelling characters will stay with me long after I finish this review.

I was given this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts are my own.

No comments: