Sunday, February 24, 2013

Now What?


Back in November, I began writing a novel for NaNoWriMo. I finished the book in January (70,000 words), and sent it to Betsy St. Amant for advice and editing. She just sent me back her corrections, and I'm tackling them.

Here's the tough part: what to do next. I spent several hours yesterday researching agents and their guidelines, query letters, proposals, cover letters, and synopsises. There is so much, and each agent wants something different.

I am preparing myself for rejection as I know most authors write several books before gaining an agent or having their book published.

However, there are a few things I can do while I wait. First, I joined ACFW, which I've heard nothing but wonderful things about. I'm hoping to go to their conference in September. Until then, I can join writing circles and loops to learn more tips. 
Second, I'm reading writing books and focusing on their tips while I finish editing this first story and starting my next.

While I edit the remaining chapters, I plan on sending in my proposal to a few agents by Spring Break. I'm so excited....and nervous.

What about you? Have you ever sent in a query letter or proposal?


No comments: