Sunday, October 2, 2011


This is a beautiful story of a friendship through the seasons...literally and figuratively. City dog and country frog meet in the spring and become instant if unusual friends. Their friendship continues through summer and fall, where they sit and remember the fun they had in spring and summer. When winter comes, city dog cannot find his dear friend and sits and waits for spring to come again. Will his old friend return, or will a new friendship develop?

I read this book with my first and second graders in my library, and we all enjoyed the story of friendship. Most of the students focused on the seasons, but a few got the meaning of the cycle of friendship. I found myself emotional each time I read it as the city dog "smiles a froggy smile." This is a wonderful addition to a personal or public library. It's definitely on my list to read again next year.

No comments: