Thursday, July 26, 2012

Favorite Authors Question

Here's one of my bookshelves with some of my favorite authors.

I know I have my favorite authors: Dee Henderson, Erynn Mangum, Kristin Billerbeck, Ally Carter, Mary Higgins Clark. I could go on and on.

Here's my question, and I think it's an important one as I review books here on my blog, on Amazon, on Goodreads, and on Extantmagazine.com. Do I hold my favorite authors to a higher standard?

I think sometimes I do. Think about it. We wait so long--sometimes a year--for a new book from our favorite authors. We are so excited that we build that book up in our mind that it's just going to be amazing. Then, sometimes it disappoints because it is not as good as what we imagined or the author is switching up from their normal style. So, does the book deserve a lower rating because of our high expectations?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid judging a new book by a favorite author harder because our expectations are higher? Maybe I'm the only one who does that.


No comments: