Monday, July 9, 2012

Starring Me: A Review



Kara McKormick didn't win the competition in First Date, but she's back for another chance at fulfilling her dreams when she is chosen to compete for job on a TV show where she could showcase her singing and acting skills.



Chad Beacon is a star but wants to do more than just singing, so he is eager to be on a new teen variety show. Adamant that Chad be surrounded by Christians, his parents ask his long time family friend Flora to choose the girl to be Chad’s costar and to surprise him with revealing her name right before the show started.

When a tragedy strikes, will Kara turn to the Jesus Addy and Flora have shown her?



Kara was my favorite character in First Date, and I was excited to read her story. She is funny, energetic, and full of life. McGee makes her personality spark from the first page to the last, and the readers are taken on a fun ride as she learns to balance being herself and working in show business. Flora was my second favorite character in the book. Her quirky love for Austen and all things literature combined with her love for Chad and his family made her a great support for Kara.



I know this book was a modern retelling of Isaac/Rebecca from the Bible, but I like that McGee had Chad and Kara meet before it was revealed who won the competition. Knowing they both felt sparks but were clueless that the other was involved in the show added to the buildup and the final reveal at the end of the book.





Fans of Christian YA will enjoy this second novel (read First Date first). Parents can also trust this book with their tween readers.



I was given this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.


No comments: