Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Scent of Rain: A Review


Daphne Sweeten lost everything in one moment: her wedding day. She gave her dream job working with perfume in Paris to marry the man she loves, who stands her up at the altar and takes her job. As if it couldn’t get any worse, she loses her sense of smell the same day. Forced to move to Dayton, Ohio, where she and her fiancĂ© had planned to live, Daphne will have to figure out a way to work without her sense of smell.

Kristin Billerbeck is the queen of Christian chick lit, and this one won’t disappoint fans or be their favorite. Daphne is a little weaker than most of Billerbeck’s heroines, but the girl has had a lot of major drama piled on at one time, so I have to give her a break there. I like who she becomes though by the end of the novel as she finds her niche.  But, she’s not a standout character by any means.

Jesse, the hero, is wonderful. He is still grieving the loss of his wife. I love that he struggles between being a dad and doing well at his job. I think most men do struggle with long work hours and not enough quality time with their kids even when they have a wife, but in most books with a single dad, the father seems to juggle the job and kids perfectly. Kudos to Billerbeck for addressing it.

The minor characters are fabulous. I love the annoying Kensie and the sweet Anne. In fact, I would love for Kensie to have her own book as she still has a lot of story to tell.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. Because Daphne seemed a little bland for a chick lit novel, I can’t say this is a book I will reread. But, it’s a good lazy summer day read.

I was given this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I saw this on a "coming soon" list a while back and thought it sounded rather intriguing....
I didn't much care for Billerbeck's "Ashley Stockingdale" trilogy, but I really liked her "Split Ends" novel, so I think I'll give this one a try. The premise sounds very unique. :)

Unknown said...

I consider Billerbeck one of my favorite authors. I like her style. It's worth checking out.
Thanks for the comment!