Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Flame of Resistance: A Review


When Tom Jaeger’s plane is shot down in Normandy in the spring of 1944, he becomes part of the Resistance’s plan to fight the Nazis because of his German looks. Tom is to visit prostitute Brigitte, who will find out secrets from her customers and relay them to Tom to take back to the Resistance leaders.  Knowing an invasion draws near, the two have little time to uncover the enemy’s secrets. Will it be enough?

I love the idea for this book: an American flyer and a prostitute working together as spies. There’s a lot of room to explore the character’s motivations and to weave an action-packed novel. Instead, there are so many characters and cover names that it took me a good 1/3 of the book to figure everyone out. While I liked the characters of Tom and Brigitte, especially Brigitte, they sometimes seemed lost in the muddle of figuring out who is who. Cutting out some of the excess characters would have strengthened the plot’s pacing and made for a less-confusing read.

Fans of historical fiction will enjoy this book, perhaps a little more if they make notes of who everyone is. Once you get halfway through, it becomes a beautiful story of courage and loyalty, much like a WWII version of the Biblical story of Rahab.

I was given this book in exchange for my review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.




No comments: